The ReWindow process is focused on JUST replacing the sash, NOT the entire window. What this means is the sash is removed from the window frame without disturbing the surrounding surfaces. Even in the case of a fixed, stationary sash, disruption and touch up are minimal. Read more…
Removing Operable Casement Sash:
- The sash is opened and detached from its mechanism.
- The sash is then pulled from the opening by detaching it from the top and bottom hinges.
- The sash is placed on a sturdy work surface to begin transferring hardware.
- The hinge arms, operator brackets, and lock keepers are removed from the old sash and transferred to the new sash by carefully measuring their locations. Handing and orientation of the sash should be noted at this point to ensure proper re-installation.
- The new sash is now set back in the hinge tracks and re-attached to the operator mechanism while final fit adjustments are made.
Removing Fixed Casement Sash:
- Fixed or “stationary” sash may be held in by visible screws through the trim or brackets behind the trim.
- If visible surface screws are identified, the sash is simply unscrewed from the frame opening and removed. The new sash is re-installed by centering in opening and re-setting the existing screws.
- If it is determined the sash is held in by brackets, the surrounding interior trim around the sash will need to be removed.
- Painted surfaces are scored to find trim edges while gently prying loose.
- Once the brackets are exposed, the sash is removed in the same manner as a visible screwed in sash.
- After the new sash is re-installed, the trim is put back in place and touched up if necessary.
Removing Double Hung Sash:
ReWindow works specifically with a compression fit style double hung window offering a complete sash set replacement designed to fit the existing window frame much like a casement window. Removing and replacing double hung sash is quite simple.
- The upper and lower sashes are tilted in and pulled from the liner tracks.
- The existing liner tracks are pried loose and pulled from their frame pockets.
- New liner tracks supplied in the kit are installed in their frame pockets.
- New upper and lower sashes are installed in their respective locations within the opening.